Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Hello Kitty Sewing Frenzy

Those who know me will know how much of a Hello Kitty fan I am.

But if you think I'm a fanatic, my cousin, Mei must be obsessed. Even I am amazed by her jaw-dropping collection. Think entire drawers and shelves dedicated to different categories of Hello Kitty products such as schedule books, pens, plushies, etc. She even goes to the extent of specially buying luggage bags just to store her prized items.

Recently, she proudly showed me her stash of Hello Kitty fabric - little pieces of printed material used for handicraft. My eyes brightened and all kinds of sewing projects immediately ran through my mind.

Taking two pieces of fabric from her, I volunteered to help her sew a couple of small items.

First was this pink Japanese style tote bag, inspired by hand-sewn bags carried by elementary school students in Japan. There are even magazines dedicated to the craft. As there was only enough of the Hello Kitty fabric to make the two straps and the exterior of the bag, I lined the inside with some of my own cotton material - recycled from my old Ikea curtains!


Next was this set of two all-purpose pouches. They can be notebook covers or used to store receipts, cards or small items like the set of Hello Kitty hairclips I found at H&M (centre photo).


With the same white floral patterned fabric, I also sewed a mini cloth basket, which is small enough to hold two mandarin oranges. It's the same Ikea curtain material on the inside again. Looks like I'll be using that a lot for quite a while since I have so much of it!


Once I got started on sewing, I just couldn't stop and this chopstick/cutlery pouch was another of my recent 15-minute sewing projects. The green jungle print fabric is contrasted with the yellow Hawaiian print, both Hello Kitty of course.


No comments: